Home Care Agency Penrith
Holistic & Ethical Care Practices
This Guide is designed for Home Carers to refresh their training on the following topics:
- Person-centred care
- Recording and reporting
- Equality and diversity
- Mental capacity & liberty safeguards
Begin completing Holistic & Ethical Care Practice Training Questionnaire
Read about person-centred care first then click on the link at the bottom of the page to take you to the next topic.
1. Person-centred Care
As a home carer, incorporating person-centred care into your practice is not only beneficial for those you care for but also immensely rewarding. Here's how you can ensure you practice person-centred care:
Establish Trusting Relationships:
- Take time to build rapport with those you care for.
- Show empathy and actively listen to their concerns and preferences.
- Respect personal boundaries and always seek consent before providing care.
Individualised Care Plans:
- Work collaboratively to create personalised care plans that consider the individual's unique needs and goals.
- Regularly review and adjust care plans based on changing preferences and circumstances.
- Encourage and support individuals to do tasks they can manage independently.
- Provide assistance when needed but prioritise fostering a sense of autonomy.
- Use clear and respectful communication.
- Involve individuals in discussions about their care, seeking their opinions and preferences.
- Be aware of and respect cultural differences.
- Tailor care practices to align with cultural preferences and traditions.
Flexibility and Adaptability:
- Recognize that each day may bring new challenges or preferences.
- Be flexible and adaptable in adjusting care routines to meet evolving needs.
Regular Feedback and Evaluation:
- Seek regular feedback from individuals and their families about the care provided.
- Regularly evaluate the effectiveness of care plans and make adjustments as necessary.
Remember, person-centred care is an ongoing commitment to understanding and meeting the unique needs of each individual. By practising this approach, you contribute to creating a positive and fulfilling care experience for those you serve.
Find out more about person-centred care by watching, "Let's talk about Person-centred Care".
Now read about Recording and Reporting